Underground Parking Advantages
As available land becomes scarcer, underground parking becomes more and more appealing, especially in urban locations. Underground parking solutions have many advantages over aboveground parking:
- It makes much more land available for non-parking uses
- It offers easier access control to help reduce crime
- Due to the parking structure, parked cars are unseen
- No obstruction of views or sunlight
- Improved liquid and solid waste pollution control etc.
However, higher building and O&M costs are the primary reasons why many real estate developers avoid underground parking solutions.
Underground Parking Solutions
Automated Parking Systems (APS) are a lower cost alternative to conventional underground multi-story car parks. APS can park the same number of cars in a volume of 60% or less of that required by underground multi-story car parks. A smaller volume means less excavation, lower costs and a shorter construction time. Using steel rather than concrete structures means APS can be pre-fabricated off-site to a large extent to minimize on-site construction time and disruption. Recycled and recyclable steel is also more sustainable.
APS underground parking solutions also have a substantial advantage in terms of operating costs. Since the parking area in an APS is unoccupied space, the O&M costs for lighting, ventilation, fire suppression, signage, passenger lifts, etc. are greatly reduced or eliminated.
APS for Underground Parking
In addition to the cost, APS underground parking solutions offer a whole host of other benefits:
- APS can fit in underground areas with an irregular shape either horizontally or vertically or even both ways.
- APS are roughly 30-40% shorter than multi-story car parks, which minimizes issues with high water tables and other underground obstacles.
- The smaller excavation needed for APS significantly reduces shoring requirements.